Sunday, October 24, 2010

There's Room for Everyone At The Table

You may be wondering about the title of this blog. The title, "There's room for everyone at the table" symbolizes for me the importance of this year's current political season and the potential influence of social workers who may be running for political offices across the United States. Democratic, Republican, and Independent social workers have an opportunity unlike any time in our history to truly impact the lives of others in a positive and substantive way on the local, state and federal levels. I ask that as we prepare to vote that we allow ourselves to hear all views with an open mind and heart.

While I am well aware most social workers closely identify with the ideals, values, and beliefs of the Democratic party (as I do generally), it is important that we allow ourselves to be open to hearing the individual views of others, especially when we do not necessarily agree.

In my state, we have a seasoned social worker who a registered Republican running for one of our highest offices. I must say I was a bit disappointed with the response I received when I shared this fact with some members of my social work network. When sharing this (proud moment) I was met with unanticipated grumblings simply because the social worker is a Republican. My moment of excitement was replaced with thoughts of the highly critical George Will article of a few years ago. I became embarrassed by some of their reactions. While I am a registered Democrat and generally subscribe to the principles of the Democratic party, I can still see triumph in the political success of a Republican social worker.

Social workers regardless of political affiliation, first and foremost care about the human condition and being a voice for those who may not have a voice regardless of political affiliation. I think there's room for everyone at the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment