Sunday, October 31, 2010

My iPhone Story: From Exhaustion to Powerpoint Presentations

I became an iPhone 4 user summer 2010, but it wasn't an easy road. As the story went for hundreds of others the day the phone was released I arrived at my neighborhood mall at 5:45am. I didn't advance order, but naively thought I might stand in line for an hour or two and emerge with one one the hottest items since sliced bread. I was surprised that I actually waited in line nearly 6 hours with hundreds of others crazed tekkies and left empty handed.

After standing on me feet for hours and hours, inching closer to what I thought was the "phone-of-all-phones", an employee emerged from the store (that was not even within eyesight of those of us standing in line doubled over from exhaustion) to tell me and the hundreds of others our quest was not to be. Our names and email addresses were collected by employees and crudely written on paper atop a clip board, the old fashioned way.

I was in shock and confused. Me and my fellow line waiters asked each other how could Apple not order enough iPhone 4s? Why would Apple people write down our names on paper and not use fancy computers? Did they not care about us, after all they had provided each of us free water and treats to keep us from fainting in line? After quickly gathering myself through positive self talk I decided to abandon my quest for the iPhone 4 this day and live to search another day.

Three weeks later (at a reasonable time) I returned to the scene of my earlier unpleasant iPhone 4 experience, waited in line 1/2 hour and emerged victorious with the iPhone 4. I must say memories of my unpleasant phone experience have been replaced with wonderful adventures and new knowledge gained as a result of my new phone. My life has been made much easier as I do almost everything on my phone I once did on my computer. Just recently I discovered the ability to conduct PowerPoint presentations on my phone using a small projection unit. I no longer need to carry my laptop and a projection unit.

Below is a screen shot of some of the apps I use, no I am not fascinated with guns. The gun  app is to demonstrate how diverse the range of apps is. Notice the counseling app, this is a GREAT resource! All I do is enter a zip code or city and all counselors, social workers, therapists, etc. within an area code is populated. I can also access the websites of these social workers and others through a simple touch of the icon. The iCE app is for continuing education options for social work licensure.

The iPhone 4 is a wonderful device, I paid $200 for it and it has been well worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment